Excavations of three tumuli at Ljubačka Kosa were conducted in 2007 as part of field studies for archaeology students at the Department of Archaeology of the University of Zadar. On this occasion, seven inhumations and numerous grave goods were unearthed, among which tumulus 1 particularly stands out. the unearthed items enabled the dating of the tumuli to approximately the second stage of the Liburnian culture or 8th-7th century Bc.
In the excavations of the amphitheatre which was part of the Roman military camp at Burnum, a fragmentarily preserved amphora of the Dressel 8 type was found with a well preserved inscription (titulus pictus), confirming that the amphora served for the transport of hispanic garum, the famous fish sauce. In his paper, the author analyses the case from the typological and epigraphic aspects, discusses the significance of its unearthing in a military camp, and sets it in the context of other similar finds in the Adriatic region and surrounding areas.
The remains of Roman Burnum are located on the right bank of the river Krka, an area today part of the Krka National Park. The information available about the site is mostly based on the excavation campaigns carried out by the Austrian Archaeological Institute of Vienna between 1912 and 1913, and between 1973 and 1974. In latter years, the Burnum’s acqueduct was investigated also by the Archaeological museum of Zadar. In 2003 archaeologists from the University of Zadar and Municipal Museum of Drniš started to excavate amphitheatre in Burnum. Between 2005 and 2007, Laboratory of Archaeological Survey of the Department of Archaeology of the University of Bologna (Laboratorio di Rilievo delle Strutture Archeologiche del Dipartimento di Archeologia dell’Università di Bologna) conducted three campaigns using non-invasive methods.
The Burnum Project was conceived in 2005 as a joint research project between the Department of Archaeology of the University of Zadar, the Municipal Museum of Drniš, and the Laboratory of Archaeological topographical Survey of the Department of Archaeology (University of Bologna), under the international aegis of the Centro Studi per l’Archeologia dell’Adriatico (Ravenna, www.arcadria.eu). The aims of the project are to gain knowledge and preserve an important archaeological site in northern central Dalmatia, the Roman settlement of Burnum, in the Krka River valley. The methodological point of the Burnum Project is to test a protocol of intervention based on the concept of preventive archaeology.
The development of towns during the transition from Classical Antiquity to the Early Middle Ages is the least known stage in the entire poleogenesis process on the territory of Croatia. Although Croatian Classical archaeology has researched a number of significant towns, there are still no completely excavated urban settlements. This makes the study of the early mediaeval stage of towns with a Classical Antiquity nucleus and the transmission of the Classical Antiquity urban tradition into the Middle Ages rather difficult. The paper gives a historical overview of campaigns significant in understanding the poleogenesis of selected towns.
During the excavations of a monumental structure (campus?) in the territory of Burnum Roman military camp, nine antefixa with a male tragic mask – with big and sad, realistically depicted eyes – stand out. they were unearthed in the layer which is characterized by shards of tegulae with the stamp of the VIII Legion. Their local production was possible after the end of 87 AD.
Luke is one of the largest and richest classical Antiquity sites on the island of Brač. there have been no archaeological excavations, but several field surveys have been conducted at the site. The site has been known since 1899, when an altar stone dedicated to Jupiter Dolichenus was unearthed. the article describes the artefacts found in the spring of 2003. The artefacts were dated to the period from the first to the fifth century.